Airbrush makeup is the perfect alternative to traditional makeup foundation if applied properly. Applications with your fingers, brushes, and sponges can be tedious, while airbrush gives you a quick, seamless finish.
Usually, airbrush makeup application is performed by a professional for special occasions such as weddings, graduations, or anytime you want your makeup to look flawless.
There are many pros and cons when it comes to airbrush makeup, and here at Glamnetic, we like to consider ourselves experts in the beauty world. Let’s shed some light on these, so you can decide if you’re ready to venture into the world of cosmetic airbrush art.
What Is Airbrush Makeup
Many of us aren’t familiar with airbrush makeup, so let’s get to know what it is first.
There are a few different types of airbrush machines. The traditional machine consists of a compressor, hose, and stylus.
Airbrush makeup is applied using an airbrush machine stylus applicator. The airbrush makeup machine contains a mini compressor which is used to create airflow through a small hose. This hose is connected to a small trigger-controlled spray paint gun. Makeup is then misted onto your skin.
Depending on the machine, makeup colors can be used alone or mixed to create custom shades. The liquid makeup is dropped into the well of the traditional machine’s stylus and then sprayed about six inches away from the face onto the skin in circular motions.
Airbrush makeup creates a seamless, velvety finish that looks more flawless than a standard brush or sponge makeup application.
Airbrush Makeup Formulas
Before you rush off to get the makeup application of your dreams, first be aware of the different types of airbrush makeup formulas. Knowing the base of your makeup can either make or break your final result.
Water-based airbrush makeup is thinner than silicone-based makeup, and it can be cleaned easier from the stylus than silicone.
Water-based airbrush makeup is obviously not waterproof, so if you are looking for something that won’t budge through sweat and tears, don’t choose water-based makeup.
Water-based applications are more sheer than other makeup types, but it is buildable. Normal, combination, and oily skin types work best with water-based makeup.
Silicone-based makeup is thicker than water-based and requires more clean-up time when it comes to the machine itself. When applied correctly, silicone-based makeup will reveal a flawless finish, with the makeup being undetectable.
Silicone-based makeup provides a sheer finish, but the makeup may feel heavier on the skin. This type of makeup is best for those with larger pores or scars that you want to conceal.
Mineral-based makeup feels light on your skin but provides full coverage with a sheer finish. It is also water-resistant, which makes it a more popular option. Mineral-based makeup works well on dry skin and is long-lasting.
Alcohol-based makeup is the harshest on your skin, but it provides the longest-lasting coverage. Alcohol is drying to your skin, so those with dry and sensitive skin types shouldn’t use this type of makeup.
Alcohol-based makeup is usually used to cover tattoos and birthmarks or to create special effects and body art. This type of airbrush makeup doesn’t budge, and it is waterproof, making it ideal if you need a long-lasting finish.
This makeup type isn’t buildable. It can look cakey if too much is applied, making it harder to remove.
The Good and The Bad of Airbrush Makeup
Although airbrush makeup sounds like a complexion’s dream come true, there are always pros and cons. For example, if you have dry skin, airbrush makeup may flake and look cakey.
Remember, it’s always important to take care of your skin by properly cleansing, treating, and moisturizing your skin daily. By doing this, you are ensuring a healthy complexion to begin with, which will make it easier for your makeup to blend seamlessly. A proper base is key for a beautiful airbrushed makeup look!
Airbrush Makeup Pros
There are many reasons why people choose to have airbrush makeup applied for their special events. Here are a few of them.
- Airbrush makeup provides a beautiful, flawless finish and can be used on all skin types. Just make sure that you use the correct base type of makeup for your skin so you’ll always be camera-ready!
- Airbrush makeup is long-lasting, so you won’t need to worry about reapplying or touching up your makeup throughout the day. Silicone-based makeup is great for hot, humid temperatures, so you won’t soon lose face.
- Airbrush applications are buildable, so you can have a light all-over application and build coverage more heavily over skin imperfections such as acne or scars.
- Airbrush makeup is quick to apply. If you’re in a hurry or have a lot of friends in a bachelorette or bridal party that need their makeup done, this route is perfect!
- Airbrush makeup is waterproof, so even if you live in the South, the hot temps won’t melt your look.
Airbrush Makeup ConsWhile there are plenty of pros for airbrush makeup, there are definitely cons that you’ll want to consider.
- Airbrush makeup is more expensive than regular makeup. Whether you apply airbrush makeup yourself or hire a professional, you’ll def be shelling out more green.
- Drier skin types can look flakey in airbrush makeup, and the makeup may even flake itself. This is because airbrush makeup is less creamy than traditional foundations. If you have dry skin, talk with your makeup artist about your options first.
- It is difficult to re-blend airbrush makeup once it dries. So, if you plan to shed some tears or will be standing in the rain, touch-ups will be more difficult.
- Shades can be limited with airbrush makeup. Depending on the makeup and machine, you may find a closer match with a traditional foundation.
- Airbrush makeup won’t hide all of your skin imperfections, so you may also need a concealer. If your concealer is not expertly applied with the airbrush makeup, you may not get an even finish.
To Sum It Up
Airbrush makeup is an excellent option for special occasions, photoshoots, or times when you need a more professional finish. As long as you know your skin type and the base of your makeup, you’ll be good to go.
To complete your perfect celeb-inspired look, add a pair of Glamnetic magnetic lashes. Each set is just as fabulous as you are, and the magnetic liner ensures that they’ll snap into place and won’t budge. Choose from dozens of styles and lengths designed for every eye shape to find your perfect glam lash to top off an airbrushed look.
We look forward to seeing what look you create. Check out our Insta and TAG us: @GLAMNETIC #GLAMNETICGIRL for a chance to be featured! TTFN!
♡SUBSCRIBE BELOW FOR 15% OFF YOUR GLAMNETIC PURCHASE!♡